NATIONAL AGENCY FOR FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION AND CONTROL (NAFDAC) VETERINARY MEDICINE AND ALLIED PRODUCTS (VMAP) DIRECTORATE
GUIDELINE REQUIREMENT FOR OBTAINING PERMIT TO IMPORT BULK PESTICIDES, AGROCHEMICALS AND FERTILIZERS
1. These guidelines are for the interest of the general public, and in particular manufacturers and importers of Pesticides, Agrochemicals, Organic fertilizer and Fertilizers in Nigeria.
2. It is necessary to emphasise that no importation shall be made by any importer of Pesticides, Agrochemicals, Organic fertilizer and Fertilizers without obtaining import permit in accordance with provisions of NAFDAC ACT CAP N1 LFN 2004.
3. The Importing Company must be duly registered in Nigeria with facilities to effect a recall of the product when necessary.
1. Application shall submit an application letter for Import Permit to import bulk Pesticides, Agrochemicals, Organic fertilizer and Fertilizers to the Director General, (NAFDAC) ATTENTION: The Director, Veterinary Medicines & Allied Products Directorate, Plot 1, 3rd Floor Isolo Industrial Estate, Oshodi-Apapa Express Way Isolo, Lagos State
2. The applicant shall obtain the prescribed application form on payment of prescribed fee. The application Forms should be duly completed and signed by the Managing Director and Technical Officer.
1. An application for Import Permit shall be submitted with the following documents:
- a) Dully filled application form
- b) Certificate of Incorporation. ( New applicant only)
- c) Certified True Copy of Memorandum and Articles of Association (New applicant only)
- d) Current Tax Clearance Certificate.
- e) Certified True Copy of Particulars of Directors-Form C07(New applicant only).
- f) Photocopy of listing certificate as an Agrochemical marketer
- g) Copy of previous years Import Permit (Renewal application only) (Note: originals of items a – d above shall be submitted for sighting)
- h) NAFDAC Registration licence (Manufacturers only).
- i) Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) of each the items from the Manufacturer
- j) Credentials of the Technical Officer with a minimum of National Diploma in related Sciences and a copy of appointment letter and acceptance letter with 2 recent Passport photographs
- k) An electronic version (CD-Rom/flash drive) containing quantities requested using Microsoft Word, If items to be imported are more than ten (10)
- l) Certificate of Analysis (C of A) of the products to be imported
The label of the product should indicate that the product is “Not for human use”. The other labelling requirements include:
- a) Name of product (Brand name)
- b) Composition of active ingredient
- c) Full name and location address of manufacturer
- d) Batch number.
- e) Manufacturing date.
- f) Expiry date.
- g) Net weight.
- h) Storage conditions.
- i) Direction for use
1. All payments to the Agency should be in Bank Draft /cash, payable to National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) account at designated bank.
2. (a) For a new import permit, a non-refundable fee of Eighty Two Thousand, Six Hundred and Seventy Five Naira (₦82, 675) only shall be paid to NAFDAC upon submission of application: Break down:
i. Application Form ₦1,000.00
ii. Permit (1st 25 Items) ₦67,500.00
iii. Inspection ₦13,500.00 + 5% VAT
(b) For renewal of import permit, a non-refundable fee of Forty Eight Thousand, Nine Hundred and Twenty Five Naira (₦48,925.00) only will be paid to NAFDAC when application is been submitted. Break down:
i. Application Form ₦1,000
ii. Renewal Permit(1st 25 Items) ₦33,750
iii. Inspection ₦13,500+5% VAT
3. Additional page for import permit is Twenty Seven Thousand (₦27,000) Naira only, while additional page on issued permit is Thirty Three Thousand Seven hundred and Fifty (₦33,750) Naira.
1. Application forms without supporting documents will not be accepted
2. Only the Technical officer and/or Managing Director are permitted to process the application to obtain a permit to import bulk Pesticides, Agrochemicals and Fertilizers.
3. Upon satisfactory documentation, the permit issued is an authorization for the applicant to import. Importation without permit to import is a violation that attracts appropriate sanction and/ or prosecution
4. Applicants must have a warehouse, which shall be inspected for conformity and suitability for the storage of products.
5. Warehouses located in residential buildings will not be approved for use.
6. The Agency shall be notified of any change in location address of company, warehouse address, GSM number, or appointment of a new Technical officer; and submit the credentials of the new Technical Officer, the appointment letter along side with acceptance of appointment to the Director (VMAP).
7. Companies manufacturing NAFDAC- regulated product using any of the imported pesticides, Agrochemicals and Fertilizers shall submit evidence of registration of all their products with NAFDAC or evidence of production approval (if new manufacturer).
8. The MSDS shall have the following sub-headings:
- Identification of product and the company
- Composition and information on ingredients
- Hazardous identification
- First aid measures
- Fire fighting measures
- Accidental release measures
- Handling and storage
- Exposure control/ personal protection measures
- Physical and chemical properties
- Stability and reactivity
- Toxicological information
- Ecological information
- Disposal consideration.
- Health Hazard Data
- Spills or Leak Procedures
- Transport information
9. Applicants can commence the submission of application for renewal of Permit from 1st November every year.
All correspondence in respect to these applications shall be addressed to: The Director General NAFDAC ATTENTION: The Director, Veterinary Medicines and Allied Products (VMAP) Directorate, NAFDAC, Plot 1, 3rd Floor Isolo Industrial Estate, Oshodi-Apapa Express Way Isolo Lagos State. NAFDAC website: www.nafdac.gov.ng
E-mail address: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org